Who We Are
My name is Steve Hockett and my business name is Alton Counselling Services. I am a member of BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy). I qualified is 1996 and have been providing a professional service since then. I have an Advanced Diploma in Counselling. In 2008 I qualified as an Adoption Counsellor registered through Barnardo’s which enables me to work in the Adoption Field with birth families; adoptees and adoptive parent(s). I practice in central Southend with close-by parking facilities and within easy access by bus or train.
I attend regular training and adhere to regular ongoing supervision. My fees are £40 for a fifty minute session. In certain circumstances this can be reduced to £25 and I am happy to discuss this. Couple counselling is £40 per couple for a 50 minute session. I very much appreciate how difficult counselling can be. It is important to show warmth and empathy and provide a safe confidential counselling setting. The amount of sessions is flexible and is decided by you, the client, in consultation with myself. It is always the client’s decision how often they attend counselling. Sometimes clients take a break and return when any difficulties arise.
My experiences in counselling are as follows:
I have worked in primary and secondary schools and therefore have a good understanding of children and young people. Within the school system I have worked on self-esteem and bullying issues. I also very much enjoy working with families and looking at their relationship needs. For much of my counselling career I have worked with children and young people who have been in the care system. This is also very rewarding work.
I have worked in GP surgeries where the GP would refer clients to me for counselling to help their patient move forward. Counselling is never a quick fix and even small steps are progress! As a client you would only see me as my practice has no other counsellors. I very much enjoy the challenge of counselling and helping people move forward in their lives.
Some of the areas I work in are:
- General Anxiety and Depression
- Life or work-related issues; bullying and sexual harassment
- Couple/Marriage breakdown – communication breakdown; learning how to be non-judgemental in a relationship; building up trust; learning how to compromise and listen to each other
- Sexuality Issues – gay relationships
- Children and Young people in the care system and family breakdown
- Adoptive Parent(s) and their adopted children; it is a great challenge adopting children especially those who have suffered from physical and emotional trauma; I help them with attachment issues; behavioural issues; educational problems at school; I also go into schools to explain attachment issues to the staff and explain how it affects behaviour and emotions
- I work with children with behavioural issues within the school environment helping staff and parents
I have personal experience and understanding of Autism as some family members are on the spectrum. As well as working with young people and adults who are on the Aspergers/Autistic Spectrum I also have personal experience as both my grown up children are on the spectrum. I work with individuals/families and help schools have a greater undersrtanding.
- Young people who self harm; working together with their parents when appropriate
If you would like to contact me for an informal chat please do so or if you prefer you can contact me through email.